Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Day Four: Don't blow out the candle in the Jacko-Lanturn!

Todays film was "Trick R Treat". The plot of the movie is set up like a comic book. There are four different stories which all in the end come together. The main character- or the most frequent character- is Sam, the devilish trick or treater in orange pajamas with a burlap sack over his face with a jacko-lanturn face on it.

My first initial thought was, "damn, a little kid? fuck". 

I have made a list of things that always freak me out in horror movies, and this movie had one of the things at the top of the list- kids. Kids are supposed to be so innocent and maybe that's why when they're pure evil it freaks me out the most. The worst is when they have that giddy little laugh. That laugh has made me reconsider having children. Ok, thats a little far but it makes the point. 

So back to Sam, who ended up being not so scary to me. I think it was the orange pajamas that made him  adorable. I feel the cuteness evens out the fact that he kills people. His reason for killing people is they are without a Halloween spirit. For example, he kills one girl for blowing out the candle of the jackolanturn-lantern and hating on Halloween.

Another little fact about Sam; he's not really a kid, but a pumpkin kid hybrid. At one point the mask comes off and he looks like an alien pumpkin. 

So the moral to the story of Sam, keep your Halloween spirit up or you got issues in the form of orange pajamas and a burlap sack mask crawling across your ceiling and stabbing you with razor blades hidden in chocolate.

Another notable part of the movie- and my first attraction to the movie- is Anna Paquin. In this movie she plays a "virgin" going out on Halloween with her sister and friends. I don't want to give anything away for that part of the movie because it has an interesting twist, but I'll end with something I thought at the end of this story:

"Who's afraid of the big bad wolf?"

No comments:

Post a Comment