Friday, October 22, 2010

Day Sixteen: Back to basics...

"The Vampire Bat" was the movie I decided to go with today. I thought hey, maybe it will be the classic vampires that are mocked nowadays for their cheesy ways. I was wrong about the movie, it was kind of a dud but it got me thinking about vampires.

Living in a time where "Twilight" has taken over with its ridiculous sparkly-dirt bag vampires, I am thrilled to see any of the traditional naive stories about Vampires where the vampires are afraid of mirrors, garlic and can transform into bats. I like vampires but I really do not like the Twilight version. I could bash Twilight for days but I'll move on.

Only since I first saw "Interview With a Vampire" have I appreciated and liked vampires. My first vampire encounter was in a movie or a TV show. I don't remember what it was, all I remember is when I went to bed I tucked myself in and covered my neck with the covers so the vampires couldn't come bite my neck. Obviously there is something endearing about vampires these days that makes us gravitate towards them and see them as an object of lust rather than something to fear. I miss the days when a vampire scared me and made me want to get out a stake and some garlic. I don't deny that the cast of "Trueblood" is hot as hell but they're no more scary than a crazed lunatic for me now.

Alright, back to the actual movie at hand. The story of "The Vampire Bat" is basically about a town where the villagers are loosing blood and the town leaders suspect vampires. There is really no sign of actual bats, and only a shadow of a vampire near a sleeping woman. I was somewhat disappointed in the lack of real vampires. Ended up being more of a Frankenstein project more than anything.

For what I thought I was in for, it disappointed. However it had its moments of being entertaining, its no Vincent Price film but, it's better than "Twilight".

No comments:

Post a Comment