Thursday, October 21, 2010

Day Thirteen: Favorite number calls for a favorite actor

The number 13 is my favorite number. It's the day I was born and although tends to be most peoples unlucky number it has always stood out to me. That said, there is no link between the movie I watched for this day and the film itself. I just chose a movie starring one of my favorite actors for the thirteenth day. "The Last Man on Earth" was my choice movie today, with Vincent Price as the lead.


"The Last Man on Earth" is an adaptation of a book called "I Am Legend". If you've never seen this film but have seen the Will Smith movie "I Am Legend" they are the same storyline. Man looses family and friends and is trying to stay alive and protect himself from vampires. The adaptations between the two movies and the novel are different but essentially the same.


Bob Morgan, Vincent Prices character is immune to the virus that infected the people and turned them into vampires. He comes across a seemingly cured woman who ends up having been infected but has a serum that calms down her symptoms. She asks for him to join her and the other people who are able to control their symptoms. He declines and ends up in a war with the other people. He ends up wounded and goes to a church.


I'd like to take this moment to say "Sanctuary!!! Sanctuary!!!". Alright, now that I got that out, back to the story line.


The ending has him impaled by a spear. In his last moments he calls his killers freaks and says that he is "the last true man on earth". Leave it to Vincent Price to end with a statement like that. I love old movies for lines like that, like in "The Wizard of Oz" when Dorothy returns home and says "there's no place like home". I apologize for the reference, it was the first that popped into my mind but I'm sure you get what I mean. That final moment when a line ties the entire movie together. Such a classic signature move of from that time.


The movie was good, I recommend it. The vampires or infected where actually quite funny, and while the movie lacked being horrifying or anything I enjoyed it. It's made me want to check out "I Am Legend" and perhaps even read the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment