Sunday, October 3, 2010

Day Two: "They're coming for you Barbra..."

Finally, a movie I enjoyed. Today's movie was "Night of The Living Dead" directed by the amazing George A. Romero.
 
Every time I think Zombie anything, my initial thought is "They're coming for you Barbra... Look, there comes one now!". Having never seen the movie yet loving that classic line, "Night of The Living Dead" has been on my must see list for a while now. It did not disappoint.

I have to say for such an old movie I was surprised that I still jumped at a few parts. I think thats due to the dramatic music more than anything but was still pleasantly surprised. That said, I really loved the music. To me the music is always very important.

Actually, I can't blame it all on the music. Ever since I saw Max Brooks -the author of "The Zombie Survival Guide"- on a special dedicated to zombies called "Zombiemania", I haven't felt the same towards zombies. I used to think of them as stupid and funny to watch but not very scary. However, on this TV special, Brooks described zombies as "walking AIDS". Those two words changed my mind forever about zombies. Ever since I saw that video on AIDS in health class where AIDS dressed up in some weird outfit broke into a house and made it its bitch, AIDS has unnerved me. Now zombies are doing the same.

Now, onto the actual zombies and talking characters. The first zombie was awesome, the one who chases Barbra from the cemetery to the house. When it gets stuck in the clothes line and flailed ridiculously all I could think was, "I feel you man". After Ben shows up I really start to dislike Barbra. Like shut up you stupid twit! Then the whole she lost her brother thing sets in and I feel sorry for her. Still annoyed, but sorry that her brother is a zombie.

The end of the movie is a bit of a slap in the face. Definitely had a "well fuck!" moment at the end. You have to see it for yourself if you haven't already. That said, if you haven't watched this, you haven't lived. Also, if you didn't think zombies were terrifying before, think about AIDS... it'll make you go out and buy that book. At the very least, watch it to get an understanding of why this movie is such a masterpiece.

No comments:

Post a Comment